Monday, February 20, 2017

Empennage, Vertical Stabilizer (Part 6)

Not a whole lot of visual progress today; however, a lot was accomplished.  I dimpled the Skin, Front Spar, Rear Spar, Root Rib, Nose Rib, Tip Rib, and Rib for AN426AD3 flush mount rivets.  I used the DRDT-2 for most of the Skin, but had to use the Pneumatic Squeezer for a few holes near the bend of the leading edge.  I used the pneumatic squeezer for all the Spars and Ribs.  Below, you can see a few of the dimples in the Skin.
 

As I indicated on a previous post, I decided to use the Substructure Dimple Die Set from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool.  I've been pleased with the results and will use them throughout the airplane build.  I also plan on using the Tank Skin Dimple Die Set on the fuel tank skins when I build the wings.  Here is a video from Mike at Cleaveland Aircraft Tool discussing the two Die Sets.  I also had to use the Tight Fit Dimpling Fixture to get to the two forward most flange holes on the Tip Rib.  There was not enough space to get the pneumatic squeezer or the DRDT-2 into for the dimple.  

Like I said, not a lot of visual progress, but all of the parts below are now dimpled.  Tomorrow I will machine countersink the #30 holes in the Spar Doubler for the AN426AD4 rivets.
 

Dimpling the Skin with the DRDT-2 and Pneumatic Squeezer.


Dimpling the Spars and Ribs with the Pneumatic Squeezer.