Thursday, September 5, 2019

Van’s Aircraft Factory Tour and RV-14 Demo Flight

Recently, work took me to the Pacific Northwest United States.....specifically, the state of Oregon.  So, you know what that means right????  I HAD TO GO VISIT THE MOTHERSHIP!  

There it is....in the flesh (I guess in the metal)!!!!!

KUAO, Aurora State Airport, Aurora, Oregon


Van’s Aircraft gives factory tours twice a day at 0930 and 1330.  We went on a great tour at 1330 with Sterling.  The tour started with a walk through of their huge warehouse showing all the parts and pieces that Van’s keeps in stock.....Ribs, Spars, this part and that part.....

More parts.....fairings on the top shelf.

Even more parts.....


A whole mess of engine mounts.....

.....and gear legs.


All of the crates that we all have received from Van’s get packed right here in this area.  You can see the empty crate on the floor about to get stuffed like a Christmas stocking for some lucky builder.

This is a finishing kit being packed for someone.  If I remember correctly, Sterling said this was an RV-7 finishing kit.  I have only one kit left to order for my RV-14.....looks like it will come in a very big box!

If anyone is interested in ordering a quick build kit, this is part of what you will get.  RV-10 fuselages on the far right, RV-14’s in the middle, and RV-8’s on the left.

This is another part of what you will get with the quickbuild kits.....these are RV-10 and RV-14 wings.  

This is where that sweet blue protective plastic we all love is applied to the aluminum.

Sterling said Van’s continues to try and manufacture more and more parts in house.  From what I understand, this is their most recent effort to do that.  This is where the Spars for RV-14’s are made (not sure if the Spars for the other models are made here yet).  Look at the size of that C-frame used to smash those big rivets in the Spars.



The tour finished in a hangar full of RV’s.  I took a panorama photo of the hangar.....you can see an RV-8A (on the lift), RV-7A, RV-9A, RV-12, RV-10, and RV-14.

Here is the ultimate finish line....roughly a year to a year and a half away.  Guess what?  Even though I’ve already purchased kits from Van’s for my RV-14, they STILL gave me a ride in the company demonstrator....N144VA!






Start up for my demo ride


Taxing out for takeoff


Engine runup prior to takeoff


Takeoff


Landing


Taxing to park


“The RV Grin”...I’m sold!!!!!  I guess I’ll buy one!!!!!