Saturday, June 23, 2018

Wings, Fuel Tanks (Part 2)

Well, the last session was the final workday for my stepdad during this visit.  He is going to head home and wait for the next trip.  However, while he was here helping me, we were able to install 2,183 RIVETS in the Wings and put in a total of 55.2 HOURS of work.  I can’t thank him enough for his help....the Wings look like Wings now!  This was my stepdad’s third “working vacation” and we seem to always make huge gains while he is here.  Thanks again Roger.

So, moving on with the Fuel Tanks.  Pictured below is the T-00005 Tank Stiffener.  It needed to be separated into two T-00005A Stiffeners and two T-00005B Vent Line Clips.  The two holes in the right end of the Stiffener were Final-Drilled to 7/16 prior to the picture.

Below shows the markings I made on the Stiffener where the excess material will have to be removed.  I used my bandsaw to make the initial cuts and 220 grit sandpaper for the final trimming. 


Here is the two T-00005A Tank Stiffeners after I removed the excess material.  I need to clean up the edges and dimple the #40 holes in the flanges.

The next pieces to get prepared are the T-1012 Tank Attach Zees.  The first step was to Final-Drill all the #40, #30, and #12 holes in each “strip”.    

Next, all the #40 holes were countersunk to accept the head of a AN426AD3 rivet.  In order to do this, I clamped the “strip” of Attach Zees to my workbench and place wood blocks under the #40 hole I was countersinking.  I then moved the wood block from hole to hole.  Seemed to work out pretty well.  

Here is closeup of several of the countersunk #40 holes.\

After the countersinking was complete, the Attach Zees had to be separated into individual pieces.  I used my bandsaw as shown below to make the cuts.

Here are the 14 Attach Zees after being separated.

After separating all 14 Attach Zees, I used the bench grinder to clean up some of the major burrs on each individual piece.  I used 220 grit sandpaper to make the final trimming.  Shown below are the 14 Attach Zees, two T-00005A Tank Stiffeners, and two T-00005B Vent Line Clips (as mentioned earlier) all prepared and ready for their next step.