Thursday, November 7, 2019

Fuselage, FWD/MID Side Structure (Parts 26 and 25)

Sunday, November 3, 2019 (Part 26)

During this session, the Side Skin was clecoed to the Fuselage....for the last time.  I put a cleco in every hole that had a corresponding piece to the Fuselage.  (Some of the holes in the Side Skin don’t have anything on the other side yet....like a stiffener for example).  Here is kind of the aft section of the Left Side Skin clecoed to the Fuselage.....

.....and is more of the forward section.

Once the Skin was clecoed onto the Fuselage, the first piece to get riveted was C-01422T and C-01422B Canopy Latch Brackets.  The plans called for AN426AD3-3.5 rivets.  When I measured them with my rivet gauge, they measured a little short......so, I tried the next size up.  The AN426AD3-4 measured perfectly and I used them for the install.  Pictured below is the inside of the Brackets riveted to the Side Skin.....

.....and this is the Outside.

Now, confession time.  In the picture below, I circled a rivet that.....was in the way!  The Side Skin “wraps” around to the bottom of the Fuselage and everything gets riveted together using an AN426AD4-6 rivet.  I discovered the problem when I was clecoing the Skin to the Fuselage and the cleco would not go into the whole.....because there was a rivet there.  

So, I double checked the plans.  Sure enough, you can see in the excerpt below.....I SHOULD NOT HAVE INSTALLED THIS RIVET.

So, to get the assembly to go together properly, the rivet had to be removed.  Not a big deal.  I used this small block of wood to hold the Skin and Fuselage apart and drilled out and removed the rivet.

After the rivet was removed, all was right with the world again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Saturday, November 2, 2019 (Part 25)