Friday, February 16, 2018

Wings, Rear Spar (Part 16)

I continued riveting the Rear Spar during this session.....specifically, the Rear Spar Reinforcement Fork.  Here you can see the 48 AN470AD4-6 rivets I set tonight.  If you look closely, you’ll see a few rivets are facing the opposite direction.  I tried to stick with putting the manufactured head on the side with the thinnest material.  So, where the Wing Ribs are attached to the Spar, I put the manufactured head on the Wing Rib Side.  For the remaining holes, I put the manufactured head on the Reinforcement Fork.  (I used the same process on the Left Wing)

This might not be the most cosmetically pleasing method, but that is the way I decided to install these rivets.  I ultimately think I got a better end result, so I’m happy with it.  Previously, on the Left Wing, I tried installing a few rivets with the shop head on the thinnest material side.....it bowed or “cupped” the material.  I obviously didn’t like that, so I reversed the rivet and got a much better result.

Tomorrow, I will continue riveting the Rear Spar and HOPEFULLY complete Section 15.