Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Wings, Flaps (Part 6)


I continued with the dimpling from the previous session.  Tonight, I dimpled:

- - FL-00001-L Nose Skin (used pneumatic squeezer for the Spar attach holes and the DRDT-2 for the holes in the leading edge curved portion of the Skin with reduced diameter female die)

- - Eight Main Ribs (seven FL-1005- L’s and one FL-1005-R modified Main Rib) - (used hand squeezer)
- - Three FL-1004-L Nose Ribs (used hand squeezer)
- - One FL-1005-R Nose Rib (used hand squeezer)
- - Two FL-1004-L Nose Ribs that make up the Left Hinge Pair Rib Subassembly (used hand squeezer)
- - Two FL-1004-R Nose Ribs that make up the Right Hinge Pair Rib Subassembly (used hand squeezer)

Now, there were four holes on each of the eight Main Ribs that my hand squeezer would not get to without distorting the opposite flange.  The four holes are circled in the picture below.

I decided to use my 3/32 (#40) Close Quarters Dimple Die I purchased from Cleaveland Aircraft Tool.  This worked out great and produced very good dimples.  Below, are the two dies and the “nail” that is used for the hand riveter to pull.

This is the set up.....


.....and these are the results.



Now, the only thing left to do before Alumiprep, Alodine, and primer is countersink the holes in the V-Channel.  I will do that during the next session.