Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Fuselage, FWD/MID Side Structure (Part 5)

I started (and ended) today by installing the 24 (12 on each side) CR3213-5-5 Cherry Rivets.  These rivets were installed in the F-01483-L & -R Forward Bottom Skins, the F-01484 Center Bottom Skin and the F-01442 Lower Drag Fittings.  Shown below, you can see six of the shop heads of the cherry rivets between the bolts on the right Lower Drag Fitting.....

.....and the manufactured heads of the right side cherry rivets.

Here are the shop head side of the cherry rivets installed on the left side Lower Drag Fitting.....

.....and the manufactured head side of the left side cherry rivets.


I’m not sure if I have shown or talked about my blind rivet puller, but I use the Marson Klik-Fast HPD-2.  It cost a little more than some of the other ones I’ve seen, but I really like the quality and ease of use of the Marson.  I used this puller to set some of the cherry rivets shown above.

Additionally, my buddy has (and I occasionally use) the Matco Tools RV14 Heavy-Duty Rivet Puller to pull some of the cherry rivets.  (Kind of has a fitting name.....RV14, but nothing to do with a Van’s RV-14)!  It worked very well when I got under the fuselage on a creeper and put upward pressure on the rivet puller.  This kept positive pressure and ensured a good seat on the Skin with the manufactured head of the rivet.