Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Exhaust System (Part 2)

I was able to install most of the exhaust system from February 2 - 5, 2023.  This post is from the first session on Thursday, February 2nd.

Previously, I had explored other options for the exhaust system due to the backordered status of the Van’s supplied exhaust (at one point I was told 6-8 months).  Lucky for me, that time frame was greatly reduce and I received the Van’s supplied exhaust in a couple of months.  I had always wanted to use the Van’s supplied exhaust in the first place…..it was “designed” around the IO-390, Van’s used it on their prototype, it fit in the cowling, the install should be easier, etc.

I can say, the install of the exhaust system up to this point, has been very straight forward and has required NO modifications to anything.  It went together according to the plans and bolted to the engine perfectly…..couldn’t have been any easier!  (I know, famous last words)

Here is the exhaust (minus the heat shrouds) “connected” and ready to be lifted to the engine.  It did, however, take me SEVERAL minutes of spinning and flipping the plans around and holding up exhaust sections to make the picture in the plans make sense.  But, I eventually figured it out.


To begin the install, I had to remove the four blanks installed by Lycoming when they shipped me the engine.  (One for each cylinder).


When I ordered the engine from Lycoming, they sent it to me with preservative oil in it (which I requested) for long term storage…..the sticker on the side of box translated that to six months under “ideal conditions”.  When I took the blanks off the cylinders, about an ounce or so of the preservative oil also came out.

Here is where the blanks were installed for cylinders #1 & #3 (on the right side)…..

…..and cylinders #2 & #4 (on the left side).

Here is three angles showing the exhaust initially installed in place on the engine.