Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Empennage, Aft Fuselage (Part 29)

Well, if you follow my blog, you will notice I haven't made any updates in awhile.  In part 24, I test fitted the Side Skins onto the Rear Fuselage.  During this fitting, I was not entirely happy with some of my work.....specifically the dimpling.  Below is a portion of the Left Side Skin.....

I dimpled the center holes for the nutplates on the top row.....I shouldn't have.  I consulted Van's and Gus gave me some suggestions on how to proceed.  After some thought, and because of MY mistake, I felt the corrective action would be a bandaid fix and I didn't want that.  So, I ordered two new Side Skins and decided the Skins prepared, the way they should be prepared, would be the best course of action.  

WELL, I guess no good deed goes unpunished....FedEx Freight strkes again!  The crate arrived on August 14th.....in this condition:

So, I refused the shipment and it was sent back to Van's for new parts.  So, again I am waiting for replacement parts of the replacement parts!  If you recall, this was the condition of my FIRST Empennage Kit delivery from FedEx Freight on January 5th.

The replacement Empennage Kit took 27 days to be returned in one piece.  The current freight shipment is now on day 9 and still counting.  So, in summary, FedEx Freight has damaged 100% of my shipments from Van's.....awesome!

In the meantime, I'm doing little jobs to ensure all the pieces of the Rear Fuselage are ready to go when the Side Skins arrive.  Once I prepare the Side Skins, the Rear Fuselage will go together fairly quickly.

More to follow.....