Saturday, November 18, 2017

Wings, Wing Ribs (Part 4)

I completed four more W-1011 Inboard Wings Ribs today.  Below is the “stacks” comparison.....nine down, 19 to go!

I don’t believe I’ve mentioned it before, but here are the tools I’m using to prepare all the Ribs.  The square is used to make sure the flanges of the Ribs are square to the web (if not, the Hand Seamer is used to adjust the Flanges), the Fluting Pliers are used to remove any bow in the Ribs (makes them flat), the Pneumatic Drill uses the #40 bit or reamer to final-drill the #40 holes in the Flanges, and the Deburring Tool is used to remove any burrs created during final-drilling.  The only other “tool” not pictured below, is the 220 grit sandpaper.  I use the sandpaper to clean up the edges of the Ribs.  I’ve tried many other methods for completing edge work, but found I like to hand sand the parts....guess I’m just weird!  Sure, it will take me a little longer to complete, but I’m okay with that.