Sunday, September 30, 2018

Wings, Bottom Wing Skins (Part 11)

Today’s session concentrated on installing the Dynon Avionics Heated AOA/Pitot Probe Mounting Bracket on the bottom of the Left Wing.  I will need to do a little “modifying” for it to fit the RV-14.  The Mounting Bracket I purchased from Dynon is advertised for installation on the RV-7, RV-8, RV-9, and RV-10 and came with installation instructions for those models.  I called customer support at Dynon regarding installation instructions for an RV-14. They were very helpful, but currently do not have any documentation for the RV-14 install.  So, I will have to figure it out.  It doesn’t seem like a huge deal, I’ll just need to use some brain power.

I searched my photos from Sun-N-Fun 2018 and found this picture of the pitot installed on Mitch Lock’s RV-14A.  I’m pretty sure it’s a Garmin Pitot Tube, but the mounting bracket is installed in the same location.  I will use this as a reference for my install.

So, here is what I’m talking about.  Pictured below is the template provided with the Pitot Mast.  In the white box, you can see the four holes for the template and the four holes for the Spar don’t line up correctly.  So, that portion of the template will not work for the RV-14.  However, the remaining rivet hole locations on the template for the Skin attach should work with no problem.  Additionally, I have marked the rivet with a black dot where the plans would have you put the Pitot Tube if you were using the AT0-035X1/4 aluminum tubing.  The rivet is located underneath the third template hole on the Spar.

By looking at Mitch’s install and studying the location on my plane, here is what I’m planning for the install.  

*****For reference purposes only, I taped the Pitot Mounting Bracket ABOVE the three rivet holes I will use for installation***

If you line up the Bracket centerline with the rivet hole below it, you will have three rivets (white rectangle) to use for the installation through the Spar.  This will also get you close to the adjacent Wing Rib (blue tape) for the angle bracket that gets installed inside the Wing (from the Wing Rib to Pitot Bracket).

To complete the installation, the bottom portion of the Pitot Bracket that attaches to the Spar will have to be trimmed to clear the rivets used to attach the Outboard Leading Edge to the Wing Spar.  The area on the Pitot Bracket with the white rectangle (distance between the spar and offset on the Mounting Bracket) measures 0.082 inches.

Initially, I will trim the 0.082 inch front the white triangle below.  Then, I will continue to trim the Bracket until the three mounting holes are in the middle portion that will be riveted to the Spar.


I will pick it up here at the next session.