Saturday, January 26, 2019

Wings, Flaps (Part 18)

I finished yesterday’s session by clecoing the whole Right Flap assembly together.  This was done so several holes could be match and final-drilled.  I started today by match-drilling #40 the FL-1004-L & -R Nose Ribs using the FL-00001-R Nose Skin as a guide.  The plans excerpt below shows the example locations at the top.

The next step was to final-drill #40 the Trailing Edge.  The plans have a note that says, “when drilling the trailing edge, drill perpendicular (90 degrees) to the centerline of the trailing edge extrusion, not perpendicular to the surface of the Top Skin”.  In the plans excerpt below, it shows the angle between the drill bit and the Top Skin to be 84 degrees and the desired 90 degree angle between the drill bit and the Trailing Edge centerline.  I came up with a really scientific method for drilling the proper angle.....I used my eyeballs.  I compared the angle between the drill bit and the cleco next to the hole being drilled.  After drilling the hole, I inserted a 6” #40 drill bit into the hole and compared the angle between that drill bit and the centerline of the Trailing Edge.  The scientific method of using my eyeball says the angle is very close.  I also used this method for the Left Flap and it worked out okay.

The last parts to get match-drilled are the Hinge Brackets.  The plans instruct you to install the appropriate hardware as shown in the white circle below.  There are four holes that need to be match-drilled as shown on the Outboard Hinge Bracket below.  In conjunction with the hardware, I installed cleco clamps between the holes to hold the assembly tight and in place to be drilled.  I used my pneumatic drill with a #40 bit to drill the holes.

I completed the same process on the Inboard Hinge Bracket below.

Finally, after all the match and final-drilling was complete, everything had to be disassembled.  Here are all the pieces that make up the Right Flap.  In the next session(s), I will have to debur and dimple many holes and countersink the Trailing Edge “V-Channel”.