Saturday, December 14, 2019

Fuselage, FWD/MID Side Structure (Part 31)

Another LONG build session.....I started today’s session by treating the F-14120-R Root Fairing Attach Angle (pictured below) and the F-01487-R Center Section Channel (seven pictures down) with Alumiprep, Alodine, and Akzo primer.  I previously did not treat this Root Fairing because it would need to be fluted.....and I wanted to wait for the Right Side Skin to be installed to get a perfect fit.  I also wanted to flute the Fairing PRIOR to priming it.  The small excerpt shows where Van’s recommends the fluting to be done.  I followed their guidance by putting the flutes in these locations and it worked perfectly.  I did have to take the Fairing off a couple of times (just like on the Left Side Skin) to make the flutes a little “deeper”.  I circled the area of the flutes below.  Other than that, it worked out great.


While those two pieces were drying, I installed the seven K1000-08D nutplates to the F-01484 Bottom Skin using my hand squeezer.  In the picture below, you can see six of the nutplates pretty easily.....the seventh is circled in black between the F-01403 and F-01404 Bulkhead Assemblies.


 When I originally started installing the Right Side Skin (starting in the center and working aft per the plans), I skipped the four rivet locations (circled below) because I thought I needed help to install them.  Reaching to arms length on either side of the Side Skin with the bucking bar in my left hand and the rivet gun in my right (with a 5” set to clear the Bulkhead Assembly).....I thought would produce rivets with “smilies” on them or screw up the shop head on the opposite side.  Well, after some head scratching and practice, I was able to install them myself.....with NO SMILIES AND GREAT SHOP HEADS!!!  So, I did....circled in white above.



Next up.....installing the F-01463 Web Stiffeners using AN470AD4-5 rivets with my pneumatic squeezer to the insides of the F-01403 & F-01404 Bulkhead Assemblies.  The two pictures below show the manufactured and shop head sides of each Stiffener.


I started today by treating the F-14120-R Root Fairing Attach Angle and the F-01487-R Center Section Channel.  Below is the Center Section Channel.  This Channel was installed using LP4-3 bling rivets.  This is the aft side of the Channel.....

.....and the forward side of the Channel.



The F-01420-R Arm Rest was the next part to get installed.  The Arm Rest is shown here riveted to the Side Skin and Center Section Channel.  Rivets will need to be installed in the locations of the clecos to finish the install and tie all the Ribs together.

I continued moving forward from the Center Section toward the Firewall.  I installed rivets in the horizontal rows up to the vertical row identified below. PRIOR to installing the rivets on the Side Skin to Upper Longeron and Firewall, proseal will have to be used between the parts in the locations shown in second picture below. So, I had to stop at this vertical row of rivets to allow the Skin to be “pulled” out enough to get the proseal in the seams.....just the right distance.



I will pick it up here tomorrow......