Saturday, March 4, 2017

Empennage, Rudder (Part 1)

I worked the graveyard shift on the airplane last night.....left the hangar around 0130 this morning.  I'm waiting on my buddy to help me rivet the Vertical Stabilizer together (difficult one man job), so I decided to begin work on the Rudder.  


I started with separating the Stiffener Shear Clips into seven individual clips.  Then, separated the Attach Strips and Shim.

Next was the task of separating all the Stiffeners into individual left and right sections.  
 
 
The Horn Brace was the next piece to get some work.
 
Lastly, the Bottom Rib was separated to create two individual parts.....R-00904A-1 and R-00904B-1.
 
The work on these parts was not very difficult, but was definitely tedious and time consuming.  I used a small hand hack saw to separate the individual parts, then the Scotch Brite wheel on the bench grinder to deburr and prepare the parts.  I also used tin snips to cut off some of the larger pieces before going to the Scotch Brite wheel.