Thursday, March 30, 2017

Empennage, Rudder (Part 8)

I finished all the final drilling last night.  As I found out in the plans, and from reading several discussions in the VAF Forums, the RV-14 Rudder Skins do not get final drilled.  The reason is the pre-punched holes come from Van's already punched to their final size.  So, I continued with the plans and removed the Left/Right Skins from the Rudder Skeleton along with the Trailing Edge Wedge.  Once the skins were removed, I scuffed the areas that make contact with the Trailing Edge Wedge with a grey Scotchbrite and put a slight break (Lap Joint) on the the trailing edges with my Edge Forming Tool.  Next was to disassemble the remainder of the Rudder Skeleton.

I started the deburring process and was able to complete the Right Skin before I stopped for the night.  I will continue deburring tomorrow.