Friday, March 31, 2017

Empennage, Rudder (Part 9)

I continued plugging along with deburring the remaining parts of the Rudder today.  Fortunately, I was able to finish it all and moved on to dimpling.  I started with the Right Skin first.  I never really thought to much about ALL the holes in the Skins until it was time to dimple ALL the holes in the Skins (almost all the holes).  The holes just kept coming.....and kept coming (ALL 500 of them.....250 each Skin)!!!!  Guess I'm going to have to get used to it.  Anyway, not hard work with the DRDT-2 just tedious.  

When I purchased the DRDT-2, it came with plans for building support tables.  I followed those plans for the tables, but I did not join the two platforms together.  Instead, I decided to have two small tables that could be moved independently from each other.  Below are a few pictures of my setup....
 
 
 
 
 

I think it is much easier to support your material with moveable tables.  I also move my large worktables around as necesary to accommodate the size of material.  It's worked pretty well so far....try it out.  

I was able to complete the dimpling on both the Left and Right Skins tonight.  Tomorrow, I will start on all of the Rudder skeleton pieces.....Stiffeners, Spar, Ribs, Attach Strips, and Horn Brace.

This video shows the completion of all the skeleton disassembling and deburring.


And now ALL the dimpling of the Left and Right Skins.