Friday, September 29, 2017

Empennage, Aft Fuselage (Part 43)

I received the hardware order from Van’s that included additional K1100-06 Nutplates and AACQ-4-3 blind rivets.  I started today by installing the F-01497A and F-01497B Rudder Cable Guides on the Right Side Skin.  The picture below shows the #30 holes that were previously prepared and dimpled.

This pictures shows the completed installation of the Cable Guides on the Left Side Skin using AACQ4-4 and 4-3 bling rivets.  The Cable Guide on the Right Side Skin looks the same.


In Part 34, I started the installation of the Cable Guide in the Left Side Skin using AACQ4-4 rivets for all six rivet locations.  Becasue the F-01497B section of the Guide is about 1/2 the thickness of the F-01497A, the AACQ4-4 rivets were to long after being set.  In the picture below, you can see the longer AACQ4-4 (installed on Left Side Skin) and the shorter AACQ4-3 (installed on the Right Side Skin).  I didn’t like the result of the larger 4-4 rivets, so I used the shorter 4-3’s on the smaller pieces.


Here are both of the Cable Guides installed on the Left and Right Side Skins with the 4-3 rivets installed on the smaller pieces. 

I installed the remaining five K1100-06 nutplates on the Access Panel.  Again, because I chose countersunk screws for the Cover Plate installation, the top two holes on each side had to be countersunk to accept the dimpled holes of the Plate.  You can see the freshly countersunk holes through the Left Side Skin and Longeron.  The Right Side Skin looks the same and I will eventually put primer on these holes for rust protection.

The clecos are becoming fewer.  On this side, I only have the very bottom row of rivets to install that attach the Right Side Skin to the Bottom Skin.