Saturday, October 14, 2017

Empennage, Aft Fuselage (Part 50)

As I’ve mentioned in other posts, I decided to use the optional flush screw installation on the Access Panel Cover Plates.  I dimpled the eight holes in the plate below with #6 screw dimple dies.  I have not yet treated the Cover Plates with Alumiprep, Alodine, or Epoxy Primer.  I will do so in the next few days. 

This is the left side of the fuselage with the Cover Plate attached.  Eight AN507-632R8 screws are used to hold the Cover Plate in place.

This is the right side Cover Plate.  The same hardware is also used on this side. 

My buddy Frank helped me finish up riveting the F-01475 Top Skin.  We shot all the remaining rivets between the Top Skin and Left/Right Top Side Skins.  This picture is looking forward..... 

This picture is looking aft.....

This is the inside of the Aft Fuselage looking aft.  The two rows of rivets we set today are the ones on the left and right side of center.

This is the looking aft inside the entire Aft Fuselage assembly.  I just thought this was a cool picture.....

The three last remaining rivets in the Aft Fuselage are the ones circled below.  These rivets connect the F-14131 Upper Aft Fuselage Rib to the F-01407 Bulkhead.  I was able to set the bottom rivet with the hand squeezer, but don’t have the reach for the top ones.  I also tried the pneumatic squeezer, but the bottom was to big.  So, I guess I’m going to have to shot these two with the rivet gun and bucking bar.