Saturday, October 21, 2017

Empennage, Vertical Stabilizer (Part 15)

Well, from reading my previous posts, you know I put a hole where it didn’t belong.  I received great advice from the big brains on the Van’s Airforce Forums and from Van’s Aircraft on how to “fix” my problem.  However, like one previous time before, I feel like it’s a bandaid fix for a bonehead mistake I made!  So, after much deliberation, I decided to rebuild the Vertical Stabilizer Spar and “get rid” of my problem.  I ordered the replacement parts from Van’s and they are shown below. 

I re-ordered the VS-803PP Rear Spar, VS-410, 411, 412 Hinge Brackets, VS-808PP Rear Spar Doubler, and the F-01412 A & B Bulkheads.  At this point, I am definitely going to rebuild the Rear Spar Assembly, but I haven’t made a decision regarding the Bulkheads (two pieces on the bottom). 

So, let’s begin.....

I started by Final-Drilling #12 the six Rudder attach holes in the Hinge Brackets.  Then, the whole Spar Assembly was clecoed together, the Hinge Brackets were Final-Drilled #30, the Rear Spar and Spar Doubler were Final-Drilled to #30, and two holes were Match-Drilled #30 from the Spar/Spar Doubler to the upper Hinge Bracket off the VS-410PP (lower assembly, upper bracket).

Finally, I disassembled all parts and deburred.....including the appropriate edge work.  The next step was to dimple the Rear Spar to accept a dimpled Skin.  Just like on the previous build, I used the Substructre Dimple Dies for this part.

The next piece of work was to Machine Countersink the #30 holes in the Rear Spar Doubler that attach the Rear Spar to the Doubler and dimple the corresponding #30 holes in the Rear Spar.  This area will be joined together with AN426 flush head rivets and ultimately attach to the Rear Fuselage. 

Finally, I gave both pieces a bath with Alumiprep and Alodine and hung them up to dry.  I will prime and assemble the two pieces tomorrow.  This picture shows the Rear Spar Doubler after getting the #30 countersinks, Alumiprep, and Alodine.  It’s hanging up to dry with the Rear Spar.