Friday, March 1, 2019

Wings, Ailerons (Part 16)

I started today’s session by prepping the Nose Skin for the Left Aileron.  I cleaned the edges, deburred the holes, and dimpled the holes with my pneumatic squeezer.  Once the Nose Skin was completed, the entire Left Aileron was clecoed together for.....

Step 1:  Lay the assembly flat on the table top hanging the clecoes which are holding the A-1001A-1L Nose Skin to the A-1002-1 Bottom Skin and A-1003-1L Spar over the edge.  Use a straight board to distribute weight over the main ribs to keep the skin firmly against the table with no twist.”

Step 2:  Check the A-1001A-1 Nose Skin for bowing with a straight edge held spanwise midway between the leading edge and spar.  About 1/16 [1.6 mm] of rise is acceptable.  If necessary, squeeze the skin down by hand to minimize the bow.”

In the picture below, I have complied with the instructions of Step #1.  The Aileron is hanging off the edge of table as described above with my 6’ backriveting plates laying across the Main Ribs.

I complied with Step #2 as shown in the picture below.  I used a three foot steel ruler as described above to check for bowing.  The ruler was almost completed flush across the whole span of the Aileron.  So, I’m going to call this step complete.

Previously, I discovered that I countersunk the Inboard and Outboard Hinge Brackets for the Right Aileron on the wrong side.  Because of this mistake, the Inboard and Outboard Hinge Brackets for the Left and Right Ailerons were dimpled on the same side....and should have been mirrors of each other.  As a result, I had to place a parts order with Van’s.  The parts arrived today, so I verified SEVERAL times I had the correct side (this time) and countersunk the Brackets as directed in the plans.  Here are the “new” Brackets.