Sunday, March 3, 2019

Wings, Ailerons (Part 18)

Today’s session was spent preparing the Spar, Nose Skin, and Inboard/Outboard Brackets (the one’s I re-ordered from Van’s last week) for the Right Aileron.  I decided to start on the Spar by deburring all the #30 holes (webs) and #40 holes (flanges) and then dimpling the #40 holes in the flanges with my pneumatic squeezer.

The next order of business was to cleaned the Spar edges.  My buddy got a new tool from Aircraft Tool Supply Company (ATS), so I decided to try it out.  The tool is a Detail Sander/Polisher and uses these 1-1/4” Sanding Disc (220 grit) and 1-1/4 Sanding Disc (180 grit) to sand your material.  I was very impressed with the results.....this little dude saved a lot of time.  I wasn’t able to use the tool with the lightening holes, so those had to be handsanded like I always do.

Once the Spar was completed, I moved on to the Nose Skin.  I deburred all the holes (all were #40) and dimpled them with my pneumatic squeezers.  I did not used the tool I mentioned above on the Nose Skin edges because it was so thin and I didn’t want to slip and mess it up.  So, I just hand sanded the edges.