Saturday, October 19, 2019

Fuselage, FWD/MID Side Structure (Part 20)

I continued, and finished, working on the parts and pieces from Thursday.  All 26 pieces are shown on the table below and have been dimpled, separated and edge cleaned.

One of the pieces (shown in the plans excerpt below) had to be separated into four parts.....the F-01461A-L & -R and F-01461B-L & -R Roll Bar Angles.

Here are the four completed Roll Bar Angles after being separated and sanded to the appropriate sizes.  Each one of the pieces have been marked with their corresponding part numbers.  Now, upon closer inspection, you can probably see the two center pieces have “notches” in them on the two sides facing each other (circled in black).  I originally thought these “notches” would get sanded out of the piece during preparation.  However, after some measuring, I determined there would not be enough edge distance if I sanded them away.  Additionally, if you look at the plans excerpt above, the hatched area that needs to be removed goes right through the center of the hole (that makes these notches) and doesn’t appear to have the “notches” removed.  So, based on there not being enough edge distance and from the illustration in the plans.....my pieces have “notches”.


Here is an example showing the F-01461A-L Roll Bar Angle showing a bottom width of 57.20mm as directed in the plans.

To get the measurements exactly right, I used a new tool.  Pictured below is the Milwaukee M12 Cordless Multi-Tool and it comes with several attachments.  As the name suggests, it can be used for multiple jobs.....flush or plunge cuts, a grinder, GROUT REMOVAL, and/or a sander.  I used the 60 grit and 240 grit sanding pads to sand the edges of the Roll Bar Angles to the required measurements in the plans.  This tool worked outstanding!  It saved a lot of time and elbow grease than doing it by hand.  I just wish I had this tool (now officially called the “Grouter”) the last couple of years of the build.  Anyway, I have it now.....

Once all the prep work on the parts was completed, I treated them all will Alumiprep and Alodine.  They are all now handing up over night to dry and tomorrow I will spray them with Akzo primer.