Friday, June 23, 2017

Empennage, Elevator (Part 24)

I decided (well, decided for me really) to build the Elevators separately and NOT together.  The original WD-605-R-1 Elevator Horn (for the Right Elevator) I received with the kit had several spots where the powder coating was coming off.  I spoke with Gus and he recommended two courses of action:
1.  Return it for another one
2.  Use a wire brush to remove the flacking powder coating and then prime it 

I decided to send it back and get another one.  So, that's how the decision to assemble the Elevators individually was made for me.  So, I started with the Left Elevator while I waited on the Right Elevator Horn.  The Left Elevator is mostly complete (little work left on the Trim Servo wiring), so I started to work on the Right side.

I scuffed and primed the new Elevator Horn and attached it to the Right Front Spar and Right Rib Root with 12 AN470AD4-4 universal head rivets.  The picture below shows the six rivets attaching the Elevator Horn to the Right Front Spar.  
 

This view shows the six rivets attaching the Elevator Horn to the Right Root Rib.  Additionally, on the left side of the picture, you can see the two universal head rivets attaching the Right Root Rib to the internal Gusset (which is a riveted to the Right Rear Spar).
 
Once the Elevator Horn was attached, the Front Spar was inserted between the Upper and Lower Skins.  The Spar was then clecoed to the Ribs.  Like a good student, I learned from my previous mistake.....I made sure the Elevator Skin was ON TOP OF the Counterbalance Skin. (See Empennage, Elevator (Part 21) for additional explanation).
 
I then attached the Front Spar to the Ribs using LP4-3 pop rivets.  The picture below shows a section of the Front Spar attached to two of the Ribs with the three silver vertical rivets.