Thursday, June 29, 2017

Empennage, Elevator (Part 28)

I started tonight's session by riveting the Right Elevator Trailing Edge. The AN426AD3-4.5 rivets were double flush riveted using the Safety Pin Squeezing Tool.  The picture below doesn't do the results justice, but this is the flush shop head side. 

After those 51 rivets were installed, I moved on to rolling the Leading Edges.  My buddy Jeff helped me with the Leading Edges and we followed the directions provided in the plans.  We used a 1 1/4" wooden dowel that I purchased at Lowe's to make the roll.  The size of the dowel seemed to work out perfectly.  Here are a few pictures of the Left Elevator after being rolled and having the AD-41-ABS rivets installed. 


In this picture, you can see the opening for the Trim Tab Servo connection.

And here are a couple of pictures of the Right Elevator after having the rivets installed.