Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Fuselage, Upper FWD Fuselage (Part 19)

I started today by installing the SPRING 00001 Gas Spring for the Canopy.

From the plans excerpt, the install looks like this.  I will attach a picture of my completed install in the next few days (forgot to take a picture of the Springs).

Now, I will start preparing parts that make up the Canopy Release or “Jettision”.  The white plastic block below is the C-01434 Canopy Release Pivot Block.  It needed two things done to it as described in the plans excerpt:

First, the four edges were rounded and then the interior portion of the center hole had to be chamfered.  The edges were rounded very easily with a small sanding block and 220 grit sandpaper.  The chamfered center hole initially was a pain in the a**.  The plans recommend using a razor knife.  I tried this method, but it looked like crap.  So, I came up with something different.  I used a step bit and turned it by “hand” to get the desired result.  I think it worked out pretty good.

The ultimate goal is to have the Pivot block “cover” the weld on the WD-619 Canopy Release Assembly as shown below.  Here, you can see the Pivot Block sitting flush on the base of the Release Assembly.....like I said is the goal of the chamfer in the first place.

These are all the pieces that make up the Canopy Assembly Release Mechanism.  The two F-01435-L & -R Canopy Release Pushrods had to be fabricated from raw AT6-058X3/8 tube.  The -R is Pushrod is 8 1/2” and the -L is 6 1/32” and each has #12 holes drilled through each end.  Also shown are the two Release Pins (that will be modified later), the previously discussed Canopy Release Pivot Block, the WD-618-1 Canopy Release Assembly and the WD-619 Canopy Release Assembly.

The two Canopy Release Pushrods had to be modified with a “notch” on each end.  Here is one of the “notches” that was completed.  First, I took the measurements from the plans and marked it off on the Pushrod.  Next, I used my Milwaukee rotary tool with a small cutoff wheel to cut the top and bottom lines.  I broke off the remaining piece of aluminum and used a small file (that just happened to be the correct width required for the “notch”) to shape the “notch”.  Finally, I used 220 grit sandpaper to smooth everything out.  The result turned out pretty good.

Here is another view.

This is the small file set that I used to make the “notches” on the Pushrods purchased from the Home Depot.  There are two files I took out of the package.  These are the two files I used to prepare the Pushrod “notches”.  Each end of the Pushrod had different sized “notches” and the two files worked perfectly for each respective end.

I will prepare the remaining three “notches” on the two Pushrods and show the results once they are primed, painted and completed.