Saturday, April 4, 2020

Interior Paint (Part 1)

It’s time we make some final decision regarding paint color.....at least for the interior (that can later be complemented by exterior paint and colors).  

My decision process for interior paint:

To Start:  We have already begun the initial stages of coordination with Classic Aero Designs for the interior carpet, seats, and side panels for the airplane (only for material type and color selections at this point which will be covered in later blog postings).  That initial coordination will/did help with the interior paint color selections.  After researching many options, we have decided to go with SEM Products.  I originally had no knowledge of the product, but they were recommended by my A&P buddy.....so, I tried them out.

Some Information about SEM Products:

If you look under the Aerospace Tab on their website, they show several products.  I decided to go with the Color Coat Aerosols.  Now, when you initially look at the Color Coat product it says it’s designed to paint vinyl surfaces, flexible and rigid plastics, carpet and velour.  However, the 
Color Coat Technical Data Sheet also lists “properly prepped and primed metals” as suitable substrates.  Now, maybe I missed it, but I couldn’t find on their website what they consider a “properly prepped” metal.  So, I looked at several automotive blogs (since this product is use heavily in the automotive industry) that utilize the Color Coat product.  The predominate recommendation for metal prep was to scuff the metal surface’s original paint or primer with grey Scotchbrite and clean with a wax/grease remover.  Then, it’s ready for the paint.  Seems easy enough.  We will see how it goes.

We initially decided on four different colors from the Color Coat Color Card to sample:

1.  15393 - Medium Gray
2.  15763 - Storm Gray
3.  15253 - Titanium Metallic
4.  15183 - Warm Grey

These four particular color come in 12oz spray cans and here they are.

I had an old Flap Skin that I replaced while building Section 21.  The “scrap” Flap Skin had already been treated with Alumiprep, Alodine and Akzo primer, so it was the perfect test piece to use.  I cleaned up the Flap Skin and sprayed each color on a section of the Skin.  In the picture below, you can see the results from each of the four colors (in the same order as listed above marked #1 - #4).  Due to the green Akzo primer underneath it, each one of the paints had to have a second coat applied to “hid” the green tint of the primer.  Colors #1, #2, and #4 went on very smoothly and uniformly.  I guess because of the metallic in #3, it seems to streak and the tip splattered a little.....maybe I just didn’t do it right.   Anyway, #2 and #4 we thought were a little to light and #3 was eliminated due to the reasons I mentioned above.  Sooooo, #1 - Medium Gray it is......

As I mentioned, each piece needed two coats because of the green Akzo primer under it.  Here are the left and right Aft Canopy Decks after getting sprayed with the SEM paint.....

.....the left and right Forward Canopy Decks.....

.....Instrument Panel Attach Brackets (top center), Cable Support Bracket (center), Wiring Channel (bottom center) and the two Instrument Panel Attach Plates.

Now, another ongoing debate with myself.  Since I am going to install carpet, seats (obviously), and side panels how much of the interior do I paint.