Monday, April 6, 2020

Interior Paint (Part 2)

In Part 1, I talked about which interior paint I chose and why.  Afterwards, I applied that paint to several of the parts that I had previously prepared and primed.  I was very, very happy with the way they turned out.  So, I moved on to painting the Instrument Sub Panel.  Now, I will admit it would have been unbelievably easier to paint the assembly BEORE riveting it to the plane.  However, I did not.  Anyway, I taped off the Sub Panel and sprayed it with the SEM paint.  Here is what it looked like after I applied the two coats.  

This view looks from the cockpit forward at the assembly.....

.....the right side of the assembly.....

.....and the left side of the assembly.

So far, I’m very please with how it turned out.  Eventually, the Instrument Panel Frame will attach to the two Ribs in the center of the Sub Panel and to the Longerons with additional brackets.  I painted this area specifically because.....when the Canopy is attached and in the up/open position, you will be able to see this area.  This area will also be open to access the rear of the installed Avionics.  So, since it will be visible, I wanted the color to match the rest of the plane scheme.  The areas forward of the Sub Panel will be covered with a Forward Skin and will not be visible.....so, the Akzo green primer will be sufficient.