Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Wings, Outboard Leading Edge (Part 17)

I started tonight by completing the dimpling of the #40 holes in the Left Outboard Leading Edge Skin.  As I mentioned previously, I used the pneumatic squeezer to dimple all the holes I could reach with a 3” yoke.  Today, I had to use the DRDT-2 to get all the remaining holes and was able to complete all the required dimpling.  Here is the Skin is the cradles.  Next, I cleaned all the edges.

Pictured below is the Landing Light opening that was pre-punched in the Skin by Van’s.  These edges also need to be cleaned and I used 220 grit sandpaper to complete all the required sanding on the Skin.

In the near future, I will be preparing the Outboard Leading Edge Ribs with Alumiprep, Alodine, and Akzo Primer.  Additionally, a few Ribs in each Landing Light bay will get sprayed with flat black paint.  Just like with the previous Wing ribs, I numbered and labeled each of these Ribs corresponding to where they were fit to the outer Skin.  Below are the Ribs for the Right Outboard Leading Edge.....

.....and the Ribs for the Left Outboard Leading Edge.


So, short of Alumiprep, Alodine, and Akzo Primer, the Left Outboard Leading Edge Skin is finished and prepped.  I will work on the Right Outboard Leading Edge Skin during the next session.