Friday, April 6, 2018

Wings, Outboard Leading Edge (Part 7)

This work was actually completed yesterday.

I Match-Drilled all the #40 holes in the J-Stiffeners yesterday for the Left Wing.  To start today’s session, there were 12 additional holes that needed Match-Drilling.  These were the top holes (or in this case, the most forward holes) on the six Ribs.  Two examples of these locations are circled in the picture below.

The next step in the plans was to prepare the slot in the Leading Edge that would contain the Stall Warning System.  To make this modification easier on me (and achieve a better result), I laid the assembly down on its side while still in the cradles.  This would allow me to work from the “outside” of the assembly “in” versus the other way around.  This way, I had much more room to work.

Circled in the picture below are the two pre-punched holes in the Leading Edge Skin that will need to be modified for the Stall Warning System.


To start, these two holes had to be enlarged to #10.


Next, the material between the two holes had to be removed.  To do this, I drilled several small #40 holes (as described in the plans) between the larger #10 holes.  I then used a very small round file to file away the connecting material between those holes.  For the final shape, I used a fine flat file and 220 grit sandpaper.

The two pictures below (one from the outside and one from the inside) show the final modification to the Leading Edge Skin for the Stall Warning System.  I forced myself to go slow during this step and was very cautious not to remove too much material.  I am very pleased with the results.