Saturday, January 20, 2018

Wings, Rear Spar (Part 12)

I haven’t updated the blog in the past few days, but I have been working on the Left Rear Spar.  So, like on a few previous posts, I’ll catch everything up here.  From my last post, I completed the prep on the Rear Spar and primed it with Akzo.  I then clecoed it into place on the Left Wing and started to install rivets.  The last few days have been spent finishing up the riveting on the Rear Spar.    

Note:  All of the empty holes you see in the pictures below, will be used to install the Gap Seal later in the build.  Additionally, as far as rivet orientation goes, I decided to put the manufactured heads on the aft side of the Rear Spar.....except on the Wing Rib to Rear Spar attach.  I followed the preferred method of putting the manufactured head on the thinner material.  So, in the pictures below, you will see some of the rivets installed in different directions.....this is why.

Now that the Left Rear Spar has been completed, I’ll start from the outboard end of the Left Wing and work inboard.  This is the Outboard Rear Spar Doubler with the eight AN470AD4-4 universal rivets installed.  These were very easy to set with a longeron yoke on my hand and pneumatic squeezer. 

Here is the opposite side (Outboard Rear Spar Doubler) showing the shop heads.  

Some of these rivets were set during the last couple of sessions with a combination of hand and pneumatic squeezer, but I wasn’t able to set the eight that attach the actual Inboard Aileron Hinge Bracket to the Rear Spar.  Today, Jeff and I shot these rivets and finished the Bracket install.  I used a 3X rivet gun because of the -4 rivets and a tungsten bucking bar.  This area used a combination of AN470AD4-4, 4-8, and 4-9 universal rivets.  NOTE:  contrary to the picture below, the rivets turned out quit nice on the Aileron Hinge Bracket.  The “ugly” you on see on the five rivets (left side of the angle) is where the primer flaked off the Angle Bracket.

This is the opposite side of the picture above (Inboard Aileron Hinge Bracket) after all the rivets have been set.  You can also see the Service Bulletin Doublers that were added to the Bracket.  The Service Bulletin made this area much more “beefy”.

Here is the completed Inboard Rear Spar Doubler.  This area used AN470AD4-4 and 4-5 universal rivets.  Here is a good picture of the different rivet orientations I talked about earlier.  

Here is the opposite side (Inboard Rear Spar Doubler) after all the rivets have been installed.


Previously, I final-drilled the Rear Spar Doubler Plates (Left and Right Wing) to 11/32 as shown below.  The Rear Spar Reinforcement Fork already had a corresponding sized hole from the factory and did not need to be final-drilled.  These holes will ultimatley become the Rear Spar Attach Holes.

However, once the two pieces were together, the Rear Spar Attach Hole needed to be reamed to 3/8.  The plans state that this is critical hole and must be reamed using a drill press and proper sized reamer.  My buddy Jeff helped me and we used the 3/8 reamer below to make the final hole.  I’ll point it out below.....

Here is the Rear Spar Reinforcement Fork and Rear Spar Doubler Plate riveted to the Rear Spar.  You can also see the 3/8 reamed Rear Spar Attach Hole mentioned earlier on the far right.  This area used AN470AD4-6 and 4-8 universal rivets and AN426AD4-8 flush rivets.

This is the opposite side (Rear Spar Reinforcement Fork and Rear Spar Doubler Plate) after all the rivets were set.

That will complete this section of the plans for the Left Wing.  I will now start this process somewhat all over again and do the Right Wing.  I have already prepared most of the pieces for the Right Wing, except for some final-drilling, Alumiprep, Alodine, and Primer.  So, the Right Wing “should” go a lot faster.  

Now, with that being said, I will have to backtrack slightly here to Section 14 (Wing Ribs) to assemble the Inboard and Outboard Flap Hinge Assemblies, Torque Tube Sub-Assemlies, and attach the Wing Ribs to the Right Main Spar.  So, the next post on this section will be when all of that is complete and I’ve progress back to Section 15, Right Rear Spar.