Sunday, January 21, 2018

Wings, Wing Ribs (Part 19)

On to the Right Wing.....

After I primed the Right Main Spar in Section 13, I was storing it in the same plastic and shipping crate from Van’s.  I figured it would be the best way to protect it while it was waiting on its turn on the assembly line.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I’m having to backtrack to Section 14 to complete the initial steps on the Right Wing.  The first thing is to cleco the Torque Tube Support Assembly to the Upper and Lower Flanges of the W-1010 Inboard Wing Rib and final-drill #30 the W-1029C Angle to the Wing Rib..  This step went REALLY, REALLY fast, as I already accomplished this while working on the Left Wing. 

The W-1025A Flap Hinge Brackets needed to be straightened to remove any bowing from the manufacturing process.  This step also went REALLY, REALLY fast....it was also completed with the Left Wing.

The Flap Hinge Ribs, Flap Hinge Brackets, and Inboard Wing Ribs (W-1011-L & -R) were clecoed together and match-drilled to #30 using the Flap Hinge Ribs and Flap Hinge Brackets as drill guides.

The outermost Wing Rib (#14–if you recall my numbering system from the Left Wing) had to have a portion of the Flange material removed (just like the Left Wing).  Here is the excerpt describing the area to be removed.  I removed this area the same way as before.....I used a small cutting wheel on the Dremel Tool to remove the majority of the material.  Once that was complete, I used a small fine hand file and 220 grit sandpaper for the final shape.



The 22 bolts, washers and nuts were removed from the Right Main Spar Assembly and will be set aside for Wing Rib installation in a later step.

All the Inboard and Outboard Wing Rings were clecoed into place on the Right Main Spar.  I also clecoed the Right Rear Spar to the assembly to give the Wing Ribs some stability and hold everything somewhat together.  This is the Right Wing with all the Wing Ribs clecoed into place.  All the common #30 attach holes in the forward Flanges of the Wing Rib and web of the Main Spar were final-drilled.  Additionally, all the common #40 attach holes in the Upper and Lower Rib Tabs and Flanges of the Main Spar were also final-drilled.

Now, guess what comes next.....mark the Rib locations on the Main Spar.....remove and deburr freshly drilled holes.  Done!