Saturday, January 27, 2018

Wings, Wing Ribs (Part 21)

Now that the Wing Ribs are clecoed back into place on the Right Main Spar, it was time to install the bolts/washers/nuts and rivets.  Below is the excerpt from the plans regarding the installation of the bolts.  NOTE:  the picture below is for the LEFT WING.  The Right Wing bolts/washers/nuts are installed in the same way and orientation.  For my own tracking purposes, I highlight the bolts as they were installed to insure the proper size/length and orientation.  My buddy Doc helped me install and torque all the bolts.  These bolts, just like on the Left Wing are torqued to 42 inch pounds (14 in lbs friction torque plus 28 in lbs for the self locking nut).

Now on to installing the rivets.....Since I was working working alone, it was the easiest to get the Ribs on the ends.  I was able to install the AN470AD4-7 universal rivets on Ribs #1, #2, and #3.  I also installed the bolts/washers/nuts as I progressed from #3 to #1 (not previously installed to make room for rivet installation on the adjacent Ribs).  I’ll get to Ribs #4 - #11 when I can get my buddy’s assistance.  I definitely install them myself (I did them by myself on the Left Wing), but I think it will be much easier and go faster with two people.

So, that’s it for today.....