Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Wings, Rear Spar (Part 4)

The picture below shows the “pre-punched” hole in the Left Rear Spar.  This hole was used to trace the “blue line” on the Doubler during yesterday’s session.  

This is the Rear Spar Doubler after I removed the material inside the “blue line”.  I used a step drill to remove a large portion of the hole and a grinding bit in my angle grinder to trim right up to the “blue line”.

I re-attached the Doubler to the Rear Spar with cleco’s and used a fine hand file and 220 grit sand paper to match the Doubler hole to the hole in the Rear Spar.  Here’s the final product and the two holes match up pretty well!

To finish tonight’s session, I deburred all the holes and completed the edge work on all three of the Doublers.  They are now ready for Alumiprep, Alodine, and priming.