Saturday, March 17, 2018

Wings, Top Wing Skins (Part 11)

SEE PARTS #2, #3, AND #4 FOR CORRESPONDING WORK ON THE LEFT WING

During today’s session, I started and completed the process of countersinking the common holes between the Top Inboard Skin and the Doublers (FWD & AFT).   The two pictures below show the completed process (the first with many clecos still installed and the second with all of them removed).  I used the same #40 countersink cutter (and depth) that was used to prepare the Left Wing.  (As a reminder, a countersink that is .005 to shallow, is the preferred depth for this step as discussed in the plans).


After completing all the required countersinking, I began the process of removing material from the Top Outboard and Top Inboard Wing Skins.  As a reminder, the excerpt below describes this process.  As with the Left Wing, I used a small hand file, 80 grit sandpaper, and 220 grit sand paper to achieve the required results.

This shows the overlap of the Inboard and Outboard Skins PRIOR to any material being removed.  The Fuel Tank Skin will be attached at this location and has a thickness of .032”.  So, the idea is to remove material from each of the Top Skins to make a smooth transition at this location.  You can also see the scrap piece of .032” aluminum I used as a guage for the proper thickness.

I did not quite get the final result I wanted to, so I will pick it up here during the next session.