Friday, January 26, 2024

RV Max Flap Actuator - PH Aviation Services (Part 1)

Previously, I completed Section 34 (Flap Actuation System).  In completing that section, I installed the stock Van’s ES 85615-10 Linear Actuator (Flap Motor) as directed in the plans.  Here is what the Flap Motor looked like before I installed it in the plane.


Now, fast forward to Section 54 (Flap Position Sensor) of the build plans.  This section has you install The Ray Allen Company ES MSTS POS-12 Flap Position Sensor.   As the only Post for Section 54 says, I wasn’t the biggest fan of that setup.  (See Section 54).  Like I said, there is nothing wrong with the factory setup, I just wanted something more “all in one” and more robust.

As I also mentioned in Section 54, I began to do some research to see what options existed in the aviation market.  Based on my research, and a recommendation from Aerotronics, I decided on the RV Max Flap Actuator from PH Aviation Services in March of 2022.  This Actuator has internal limits, internal position sensing and is very robust.  This setup does away with the two piece setup (separate flap motor and position sensor), did away with the safety wire that was required to be installed on the factory actuator and combined everything into one robust setup.  That pretty much meet the requirements I was looking for in a replacement flap motor.  I didn’t get any pictures of the actuator prior to installing it, so if you click on the link I provided above, it takes you right to the page.  On that page, it gives you the specs and price for the actuator.

As the PH Aviation Services website says, this is not a drop in replacement for the stock actuator.  So, some minor modifying was required, but was pretty easy to do.  I will use this section to show you the modifications and what it looks like installed.