Sunday, January 28, 2024

RV-14 Tailwheel Assembly - JD Air

In June of 2021, I purchased and installed the RV-14 Tailwheel Assembly including Steering Link from JD Air. The work and pictures in this post are from June 14, 2021.

Here are the instructions I used for the installation that are published on their website.

These are the parts and hardware that comes with the kit.  I decided not to use the Light Weight Tire (available option) and used the stock U Tail Wheel 6” from Van’s.  I flew an RV-7 for a couple of years that had one of the Light Weight Tires and I wasn’t a big fan of it.  It gave the plane a noticeably rough ride while taxiing that wasn’t very comfortable…..in my opinion.  I know other RV owners that love them, so to each his own.

The first step is to install the Dual Bearing Yoke onto the U-00016 Tail Gear Spring with (2) AN3-12A bolts, (2) AN960-10 washers and (2) AN365-1032A nuts.  This is the same way the Van’s stock Yoke is installed, but they just use different hardware. 



Now, the Tail Wheel Fork is installed through the Yoke, the Adjustable Single Control Arm, the Custom 1/2” Belleville washer and a AN364-820A nut holds everything together.



Next, the stock Van’s U Tail Wheel 6” (my preference over the Light Weight Tire) is installed on the Fork using an AN6-31 Bolt, (2) AN960-616(L) washers, (1) AN960-616 washer, an AN310-6 castle nut and (1) MS24665-238 cotter pin.



Finally, the Tail Link is installed following these instructions on their website.  These two pictures show the entire assembly completely installed.