Friday, April 21, 2017

Empennage, Horizontal Stabilizer (Part 7)

I wasn't really motivated to work with chemicals (Alumiprep, Alodine, Akzo Primer) tonight.  So, just like last night, I continued working on the Horizontal Stabilizer.  I started out by deburring the edges of all the HS-905 Nose Ribs (x8), HS-1004 Inspar Ribs (x6), and HS-904 Inspar Ribs (x6). To begin, I had to remove all the plastic protective coating from the pieces.  Here is an example of a few pieces that still have the plastic on them.
 

 I used a 1" ScotchBrite Wheel in the hand die grinder and the process went pretty quickly and easily.  Here are all the completed parts.....ready for the next step.  
 
After cleaning all the edges of the eight Nose Ribs, the forward ends also need to be radiused to prevent the flanges from making small dents in the Skins after installation.  Below is an excerpt from the plans and the finished Nose Ribs.
 

 

The plans have you fabricate four cradles to hold the Horizontal Stabilizer during construction.  They specifically tell you not to waste time making the cradles perfect because they have no bearing on the alignment of the Stabilizer.  I used leftover wood from the shipping crate I received from Vans's when the Empennage Kit was delivered.  This is not my best work, but they said don't make them perfect.....