Monday, April 3, 2017

Empennage, Rudder (Part 12)

Tonight, I back riveted the seven R-00915-A thru G Stiffeners to the Left Rudder Skin using a Back Rivet Set and Back Rivet Plate.  Below are a couple of pictures of the Left Skin with all the Stiffeners riveted with AN426AD3-3 rivets.  Additionally, you can see the trailing edge of the Skin has not been primed (as suggested by the plans).  This is where the Trailing Edge Wedge will be attached to the Left Skin.....the Right Skin will be prepared in the same fashion.  You can also see the finished product after I primed the Skin and Stiffeners yesterday with Akzo.
  


 

I did, however, make a mistake while riveting one of the Stiffeners.  I did not FULLY have the back rivet plate under the rivet head and jacked up the rivet.....here is the evidence.  I drilled the rivet out with a #41 drill bit and successfully installed a new one.
 

Back riveting the Stiffeners to the Left Rudder Skin.  My phone's battery died and I didn't capture the last few stiffeners being attached.