Sunday, April 2, 2017

Empennage, Rudder (Part 11)

As I wrote yesterday, the only piece I have left to prepare before priming and assembly is the Trailing Edge Wedge.  Today, I Machine Countersunk the #40 holes in the Wedge using the Trailing Edge Wedge Jig, Threaded Micro Stop Countersink, and 3/32 Countersink Cutter.  Prior to using the tools on the actual Wedge, I had to setup the Micro Stop and 3/32 Cutter for the right depth.  Below are the three countersunk holes I made, but it took about 7 adjustments to get to the correct depth on the left.  I used excess wedge material as the test piece.  Since the wedge is not on the jig in the picture below, it makes the holes look "not round".  They are.....it's just the angle I took the photo. 
 

After all the adjustment were made to the tools, I used a clamp to hold the Jig and the Wedge tight to the workbench while I countersunk the holes.  Below, you can see I've countersunk the three small holes on the right.
 
After all the #40 holes were countersunk.....on both sides.  
 
After completing the work on the Trailing Edge Wedge, I moved on to the Rudder Skins.  Just like on the Skin of the Vertical Stablilizer, I used Alumiprep 33 (acid etch) and Alodine 1201 (corrosion resistance) prior to priming.  Below are the Skins hanging up to dry after being treated with the Alodine.
 

I allowed the Skins to dry for a few hours and then primed them with Akzo Epoxy Primer.  The video shows the preparation of the Trailing Edge Wedge.