Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Empennage, Rudder (Part 17)

I showed up at the hangar tonight with the intention of riveting together the Trailing Edge of the Rudder.  After some staring, more staring, and internal debate (and some outloud to myself), I decided I wasn't happy with the way it looked while clecoed together.  The gap between the Skins and the Trailing Edge Wedge was larger than I was willing to accept, so I decided to make it "mo betta".  Structurally, it would have been just fine, but cosmetically it bothered me.  

I determined the 3/32 dimple in the Skins and the 3/32 countersink in the Trailing Edge Wedge wasn't allowing the three pieces to fully nest together.  I'm sure you've heard the analogy of trying to put two cups of the same size into one another.....they don't fit.  So, I decided to make the countersinks in the Trailing Edge Wedge just a tad bit deeper.  Due to the thickness of the aft portion of the Wedge, I didn't go crazy.  Looking at the hole, you would think to yourself....that's just a little to deep.  Once that was done, the Skins and Trailing Edge Wedge fit tightly together and the result made me happier.  Here is a picture of the trailing edge ready to be riveted.