Saturday, April 15, 2017

Empennage, Rudder (Part 14)

My buddy's Jeff and Frank were able to help me out today, so I shifted attention back to the Rudder.  Picking up where I left off, I needed to connect the Right and Left Rudder Skins together.  The plans were pretty straight forward and easy to follow.  The first step is to use adhesive to adhere the R-916-1 Trailing Edge to the R-00901-R-1 Skin.  Based on Van's recommendation from the plans, I used 3M F9460PC Adhesive Transfer Tape and attached the Skins together as shown below.
 
The Skins are connected by riveting the middle of the Stiffeners together and the aft end of the Stiffeners to the Shear Clips using LP4-3 Pop Rivets.  The Skins and Trailing Edge were also clecoed together as the assembly came together.  
The Spar assembly was next inserted into the Skin assembly.  The Bottom Ribs were riveted with LP4-3 rivets, the Spar assembly was riveted to the Shear Clips with LP4-3 rivets, and the second Attach Strip was riveted with AN426AD3-3.5 flush rivets.  Lastly, the Horn Brace was riveted with a combination of LP4-3 and AN470AD4-6 rivets.
 

Below is the Spar Assembly attached to the Skins.