Saturday, May 20, 2017

Empennage, Elevator (Part 6)

Alright, I'm back to working solo (mostly).  I continued moving forward on the Elevators where Roger and I left off.  I started work by dimpling the Close-Out Tabs on the Trim Tab Skins.  Here is the left side of Trim Tab Skins after being dimpled.
 

After being dimpled, the Skins and the Trailing Edge were clecoed together.  The purpose was to mark and trim the Trailing Edge to match the Skins.  In the circles below, you can see the overhang of the Trailing Edge on each side of the Skin. After the Trailing Edge was marked, I removed it from the Skins and trimmed off the excess on each side with the band saw (initially) and bench grinder (final trim).  I also used the Edge Forming Tool to make lap joints on the trailing edge of the Skins.
 

I put off countersinking the Trailing Edges until now, so I could do all three of them at the same time.  The aft end of the Trailing Edge is thicker than the forward end, so it creates and angle when it's put flat on the bench.  So, I Match-Drilled the holes in the Trailing Edge into a 2x6 piece of wood and clecoed it down.  
 

Then I clamped the piece of wood to the work table to prevent it from moving.
 

With the Trailing Edge fixed, you can feel when the cutter is level due to the cage on the Threaded Micro Stop Countersink.  The holes turned out perfect on all three Trailing Edges.
 

Next, I clecoed the aft half of the Trim Tab Hinge to the top flange of the Trim Tab Spar.  The holes on the top flange of the Spar were then countersunk in a similar fashion as the Trailing Edge.  Finally, I dimpled all the #40 holes in the botton flange of the Trim Tab Spar and the upper and lower Skins of the Trim Tab.  Below, I test fit all the pieces together to form the Left Elevator and the Trim Tab assembly.  Looks pretty good to me.