Thursday, May 25, 2017

Empennage, Elevator (Part 7)

In preparation for completing the Trim Tab, I began preparing the Skins for completion.  The foam ribs will be bonded in place with fuel tank sealant in the next few steps.  Prior to that, the Skins need to be prepared.  I used Alumiprep and Alodine on the inside of the Skins.  After the Skins dry, I will mark off the areas where the Ribs/Sealant will go and prime the rest of the Skins.  Here is a picture of the parts handing up to dry.....
 

I have to make a confession here.....the E-01401AB Elevator Trim Tab Pushrod is killing me!  In Part 5 of the Elevator build, I talked about countersinking the parts WAY to deep and having to order new parts from Van's.  I received the new parts a few days later and started working on them.  Damn if I didn't jack them up again.  While removing the excess material that connected the parts.....can you guess what I did....trimmed away WAY to much material.  So much so, that a couple of the countersink holes were touching the edges of the pieces.  Sooooooo, I called Van's and ordered another E-01401AB Elevator Trim Tab Pushrod.  Here is the third iteration....
 

I used the bandsaw to separate into three pieces.....
 

And a hand file and sandpaper to "smooth" the edges.  All the countersinks look good this time.
 

After an Alumiprep and Alodine bath.....
 

I will prime and rivet the three pieces tomorrow.  More to follow.....