Saturday, May 27, 2017

Empennage, Elevator (Part 9)

I worked exclusively on the Trim Tab and associated parts today.  To start the session, I primed the Trim Tab Pushrod.  Once it was dry, I double flush riveted it together with AN426AD3-3.5 rivets.  Finally, here is the finished product:
 
The Trim Tab will have three foam Ribs installed to hold it's shape.  The Ribs will be bonded to the Skins and the Skins need to be prepared to allow the bonding agent (fuel tank sealant) to adhere properly.  The first step is to identify the locations the Ribs will be installed.  The plans give the individual measurements for each Rib.  The picture below shows the locations of the three Ribs for the Trim Tab.
 
I marked off the locations of each Rib, scuffed the Skins and Spar with sandpaper (the areas to be bonded), cleaned with acetone, and then covered those areas with tape.  After the areas were taped, I primed the areas with Akzo.    
 
The picture below show the upper and lower Trim Tab Skins and the Trim Tab Spar after getting primed and having the tape removed.  The scuffed areas will with contain the Ribs and the Trailing Edge wedge. 
 
I started the process of riveting the Trim Tab Horns, Trim Tab Spar, and Trim Tab Bottom Skin.  Tomorrow, I will finish the process and bond the Ribs to the assembly.