Saturday, February 2, 2019

Wings, Ailerons (Part 1)


The first step in the plans is to separate the A-1006-1 Outboard Hinge Brackets into parts A and B.  Next, separate A-1007-1 Inboard Hinge Brackets into parts A, B, and C.  There are two of each, so presumably one fore each aileron.  The pieces on the left are how they were shipped from Van’s and the pieces on the right have been separated.  

After separating the parts, I used a 6” 3M Light Deburring Wheel on my bench grinder to remove the large burrs where the parts were joined together.  Finally, for the fine sanding work, I took my 220 grit sandpaper and stuck it to the workbench.  It was a lot easier to move the piece across the sandpaper than the other way around.  This worked perfectly.  Additionally, the grinder I used to separate the pieces is shown in the picture below.

Here are all the pieces.  They have all been edge cleaned and marked for the next step.