Thursday, February 7, 2019

Wings, Flaps (Part 27)

The Nose and Top Skin were clecoed to the skeleton assembly during the last session.  Tonight, I started putting in the rivets.  Following the plans, the Nose Skin to Top Skin to Spar locations get riveted first (just like on the Left Flap).  Once that is complete, the Main Ribs and Modified Rib get riveted to the Top Skin.  (The most aft two rivets will not get set at this time and I marked these locations off with orange tape to remind me to leave them alone).

I installed 107 rivets during the session using my Sioux 2X rivet gun and tungsten bucking bars.  Due to the orientation of the rivet locations, it was very, very easy to set the rivets by myself.  The four pictures below show the “internal” area of the Right Flap.  In these pictures, you can see the rivets set in the Spar and Ribs (as described above).




Here is the external side (in this case, the Top Skin) of the Right Flap.  The two pictures below show the rivets set in the Top Skin.  (You can also see the rivet locations I marked off with orange tape).


During the next session, I will install the remaining rivets in the Right Flap.