Monday, February 25, 2019

Wings, Ailerons (Part 13)

During the previous session, I treated the 32 Stiffeners and four Skins with Alumiprep and Alodine.  To start today’s session, I Akzo Primed the same pieces.  Here are all the pieces after getting primed.

After the Akzo Primer has dried, I started backriveting the Stiffeners to the Skins.  Below, is one of the two Bottom Skins with the rivets installed and held into place with the orange tape.

Kind of hard to see here, but this is the opposite side of the picture above.  If you look closely, you can see rivets installed in the holes prior to being set.  The plans call for AN426AD3-3 rivets to be used to attach the Stiffeners, but they looked short to me.  After checking them with he gauge, they were a little short and the AN426AD3-3.5 measured out perfectly.....so, I used them here.  

Here are the manufactured heads after being set.....

.....and the shop heads with the Stiffeners in place.

Here is a close up of the eight rivets attaching the A-1005B-1L Main Rib to the Bottom Skin.

Here is an example of one of the eight Stiffeners attached to the Bottom Skin.

I was able to complete the riveting of the eight Stiffeners and two Main Ribs for the Left Aileron Bottom Skin.  I will pick it up here during the next session and complete the remaining three Skins.