Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Finishing, Cowl Baffle (Part 4)

The work and pictures in this post are from September 25, 2021.

The CB-00004 FWD Center Bracket and the CB-00016 AFT Center Bracket are shown installed on the engine in the two pictures below.  These Brackets will eventually hold some of the Baffles in place when they are installed on the engine.



 The Left AFT Baffle Assembly is shown in the picture below.  As I mentioned in the previous post, I forgot to take pictures of the parts prior to riveting them together.  For the next few steps, I used high temperature RTV Sealant (in this case red) as instructed in the plans.  The RTV was put on the areas of the Baffling that will be making contact with the cylinders when installed on the engine.  To get the RTV locations correctly, I temporarily installed the Baffle Assembly to the engine and marked exactly where it would make contact with the cylinders.  Then, I used orange auto painters tape (the blue painters tape would also work) to mark off the areas where the RTV would need to be applied.  I applied the RTV directly to the Baffle, used a popsicle stick to “smooth” it out and removed the tape after the RTV started to get a little tacky (about 10-15 minutes, if I remember correctly).  The plans say to make the RTV thickness 1/32”.  When I was finished, I think mine was a little closer to 1/16” thick.

I followed the same procedure for the Right AFT Baffle Assembly.


I will let the two assemblies hand up and dry for a day or so and then install them on the engine.