Monday, March 4, 2024

Panel Installation (Part 18) - JVL Aviation’s Transponder/Comm Bracket

The work and pictures in this post are from August 25, 2023.

In the last post, I needed to come up with a mounting solution for the remote comm radio (GTR20) to the aluminum angles.  Well, here is what I came up with.  I made a couple of “remote comm radio mounting plates” to attach to the aluminum angles.  I match-drilled nine mounting holes for each plate and angle (not overkill at all - don’t judge me).  I used a rivet fan to lay out the holes and countersunk those holes on the upper side of the angles (where the transponder/tray will be attached).  Then, I drilled four mounting holes in the comm radio mounting plates corresponding with the slots on the mounting brackets pre-installed on the comm radio (those brackets came with the radio).  Lastly, I drilled four “lightening holes” in the angles (two on each angle).  I don’t know how effective they will be, but they look good.  Here’s a couple angles:





The next two pictures show the plates riveted to each of the aluminum angles and repainted….ready for installation.