Monday, September 28, 2020

Wings, Wing Tip (Part 7)

Fairly short session tonight.  I machined countersunk the 10 holes on the top and the nine holes on the bottom of the Wing Tip Fairing.

Here are the nine countersunk holes in the bottom of the Fairing.  The forward six holes were countersunk to accept AN426AD3-3.5 rivets and the aft three holes were countersunk to accept the MK-319 rivets.

Here are the 10 holes on the top of the Fairing.  Just like on the opposite side of the Fairing, the forward seven holes were countersunk for AN426AD3-3.5 rivets and the aft three holes were countersunk for MK-319 rivets.  I did, however, make an errant hole in the Fairing.....can you see it?


Just forward of the forward most hole is the “oops hole”.   I didn’t highlight this error in any previous sections because I had holes and blue lines drawn all over the Fairing.  It would have been confusing and hard to explain....after all, I confused myself and drilled the hole.  So, the “oops hole” location is actually at the END of the the Wing Tip Rib.  I was supposed to measure aft 5/16 [7.9 mm] from the end of the Rib and make the hole.  The correct hole location is the hole immediately to the left of the “oops hole”.  Not that big of a deal since the Wing Tip is fiberglass.  I will just fill it later and you’ll never know it was there.

At this point, I’ll switch over to working on the right Wing Tip Fairing and prepare it to the same point as this one.  That way I can alumiprep, alodine and prime the Ribs together and complete the final assembly.